Arguably the sweetest part of Halloween? The candy! We’re big fans of an occasional treat, and Halloween is just the occasion.
- Looking for a vegan candy? A super friend to the animals we love Smarties. Produced by a small family business in New Jersey, USA this sweet treat is as delicious as it is kind to animals.
- Chocolate is more your thing? Try England’s own Seed and Bean for a truly ethical taste of sweetness. Organic, green and sustainably and ethically. I’m pretty sure that makes their (already delicious) chocolate even tastier.
Let’s Get Dressed
It’s costume time, people! And we definitely don’t mean buying a cheap piece of non-biodegradable polyester for $59.99 that you’re going to throw away come November 1st.
- Thrift store love! Choose a historical figure you love, maybe the politician du jour, perhaps a spooky character from a book, and head to the thrift store to piece together your outfit. It doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be fun. Reusing old clothes - nothing greener!
- A gentle reminder: ethnicities are not costumes and tragedies are not costumes. Part of adopting an ethical lifestyle is being respectful of cultures and different issues. It’s okay to be edgy, it’s cool to be controversial. Just make sure you’re not also being a jerk.
It’s not Halloween without a big party! Gather your friends, put the Monster Mash on your playlist and let’s party.
- Ethical alcohol. It exists! And it’s tasty. The Good Beer Co. from Australia shows you can be green and give back at the same time. With half of their profits going back to charities perhaps you won’t feel so about your hangover the next morning. :)
- Thinking about solo cups? Pondering plastic plates? You’re probably not going to want to break out the fine china (and that’s okay!) but let’s all agree plastic is NOT an alternative. Look for compostable options, like those available from Let’s Go Green.