- Fresh flowers flown in from Colombia? No way. Hand out organic wildflower seed packets! Perhaps to your colleagues, perhaps to your friends, or perhaps to a new person you see on the street who looks like they’re having a rough day. We adore the organic wildflower seed packs because they’re an inexpensive way to make our globe a just a bit more pretty, just a bit greener and hopefully a bit friendlier. We suggest writing little loves notes, quotes and sayings on the back of the packs.
- Celebrate loving yourself this year! Order and delight in the all natural, organic, vegan, facial kit from Meow Meow Tweet! Made in the USA under ethical conditions and packaged in super eco-friendly containers we are blown away by MMT’s dedication to ethics! Plus, all their products smell delicious, are very effective, support various causes and charities and have the sweetest original artwork in the packaging, done by their founder!
- Buying for someone you love? Why not gift them a bunch of second hand books? There is nothing more eco-friendly than repurposing an already existing item, and with tons of genres to choose from you can send a special message to your loved one. Choose adventure, choose philosophy, choose romance -- or choose one of each! Vintage books are a super way to tell someone you care ... and save a some bucks in the process. Check your town for their local secondhand bookshop or go the online route. Saving trees, saving emissions and spreading literacy. Win win win.
- Willy Wonka might not agree, but chocolate comes from cocoa farms, and over 70% of these farms are in West Africa. With no or unenforced labor laws and sometimes unpredictable government situations, worrisome ethical situations are slowly becoming being brought to light. Harsh conditions, forced labor (also known as slavery), pay far under living wages and the trafficking of children to work the farms seems to be just the start. So before you throw any chocolate in your grocery cart, make sure to ask yourself if it is really worth a child being sold for $250 USD to a cocoa farm. If that makes you uncomfortable, take a look at our favorite ethical chocolate maker, Theo Chocolate. Committed to making the world a better place AND making delectable chocolate.
- In case you hadn’t noticed … it’s a little chilly out. And since the cold doesn’t seem to be going anywhere we think it’s time to order your Perfect Scarf by VIRTU. For yourself! Or your mom. Maybe a boyfriend or a best pal? We love this incredibly soft baby alpaca scarf! And making it even better? Alpacas are amazingly eco-friendly, pay for workers are above a living wage and 50% of proceeds are funneled directly back into the community in Peru making the scarf. Don’t curse the cold - get a Perfect Scarf!
What’s not to love about a day that celebrates chocolate? That’s what Valentine’s Day is about, right? ;) You don’t need a Valentine to make this 14th of February great! You just need to enjoy celebrating! And to make this your most favorite year yet, we’re here with five ways to make it the most ethical one yet. Flowers die, chocolates melt, candles burn away … but we (hope) your values are forever.
Have some other bright ideas on how to make Valentine’s Day awesome? Tell us in the comments below!